Thursday, July 14, 2011

Women's World Cup

You can't help but get inspired when you watch the women's world cup. There is so much passion and so much pride with each country. It shows on the field, that each player leaves everything they have on the field after each game. Blood. Sweat. Tears. You can tell they really have a passion for the game. But that's how it should be. Why invest your time and money into something you don't absolutely love? Why wear your body down to the bone, if you're not completely into it?

For these women, playing soccer is literally their job. They are living out their dream. As much as girls all around the world say they want to be just like them, I don't think a lot of them could handle that type of dedication. At least from the girl's I know and have seen. Yeah, you see the YouTube videos of them having a good time and enjoying themselves, but that's only a 10 min video. What do you think they're doing the rest of the time?

I can't imagine what it feels like to be a professional athlete. I mean, being a college athlete was great and all...but half the time it was shits and giggles with my team. Our entire team was never on the same page. Someone was always arguing with someone else.There was always some sort of drama on the team. And it was always over some nonesense. I'm pretty sure if that happened on the Women's National team...well...I'm just gunna say I highly doubt it does happen. Or the girls kept it to themselves and the coach didn't know about it. It just seemed like more than half the time our team seemed like they were still in high school. Where fitness didn't really matter...goofin off at practice didn't matter...and not matching at practice didn't matter.

When I was in college and someone would ask if I was going to play afterwards, I would always say "I don't know" or "no." At that point I thought I would have had enough of soccer. College soccer was definitely a different experience. Not necessarily the best experience. But as time goes on and the more time that goes by and I don't play, I miss it even more. Maybe it's because it's something I have literally been doing my whole life. Or maybe it's because I really do love it that much and it is and always will be one of my passions. Either way...I miss playing.

I miss having that competitiveness with my teammates at practice and our opponets in games. I miss feeling good after a hard training session because I know I'm in good shape. I miss lifting weights and practicing in general. Playing again has definitely been on my mind a lot. I feel like I didn't get anything out of playing in college. I just don't feel like I'm done playing. But who's to say my time hasn't passed...

But to me...I don't think that time has passed...

No comments:

Post a Comment