Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bittersweet


I went home again this weekend and had a lot of fun! I finally got to see one of my best friends Alex Lanaro!! It has seriously been forever. We always seem to be in two different places and never home at the same time. But we both went home this weekend for the same reason.  A few years ago, a good friend and classmate past away in a car accident. His name was Nathan Melton! Such a sweet kid...funny...just got along with everyone. He was driving home from an Alabama football game with two other friend Nikki Bagley (Another good friend) and Nathan Wiggins (Her boyfriend at the time) when they got in a bad car accident. For some reason Nathan M. was the only one not wearing a seatbelt. :-( The other two were and thankfully they survived but Nathan M. didn't. It was def a rough time for everyone back home.

Well this Saturday, his mom and some of my friends put on a fundraiser (Alumni Basketball game) in his name.  I think next year they're going to establish a scholarship in his name. It was def a sight to see. All of his friends were there supporting him and parents came out as well.  My parents came! Prizes were given out, food was sold, they made t-shirts and some good basketball was played.

Then, Nathan's mom (Mrs. Pam) came forward and wanted to thank everyone for coming and that's when it got emotional. She talked about his death, the day before he died and the day he died. It was sooo sad. I don't think there was a dry eye in the gym. I would NOT imagine losing a child. To have to barry your child...you're only child and live without them the rest of your life. It's just heartbreaking. It just shows you how precious life is. And the sad thing is, that's not the first teenage death that has happened in our town. There has been at least 6 other deaths with kids from out school. It's crazy to think about.

You just never know what tomorrow has to bring.

It was definitely an emotional weekend, but it was good to see a lot of my classmates that I haven't seen in a while. Always have to rememeber to count your blessings...no matter how small or how few. There is always someone out there who is worse off than you. You will never be forgotten Nathan! I miss and love you!! RIP my friend. <3



Live. Laugh. Love.

- KC

No comments:

Post a Comment